ROMANIAN OSTOMY ASSOCIATION
Bucharest, str, Victor Eftimiu, no. 3, ap. 1, sector 1, 010153
Romania, Tel./fax: +40213113469
- The association has been initiated by 26 founding-members
- The President of the association was, all the time, an ostomate
- Between 1996 and 1999, the appliances were reimbursed by the NHS and after that by the National Health Insurance House. This was the most important attainment of Romanian Ostomy Association which has organized a pressure group for this matter.
- The members of the association are ostomates, relatives of the ostomates, members of medical staff, and other persons who want to sustain the need and the interest of the ostomates.
- Other significant members of the association are stoma care nurses and psychologists.
- Since 1999 our association has initiated different programs for training in stoma care field; Romania doesn’t have a professional association for stoma care nurses.
- Since 2003 the association initiated stoma-therapy competency courses.
- Since 2005 the association has become provider for Medical Continuous Education, in concurrence with the National Order of Nurses.
- The association is self-financing by courses; a small amount of finances is provided by members fee, contribution of the Ministry of Labour and from the Associations of Retired Persons.
- We have a periodical newspaper: “Gradina Cismigiu”- Cismigiu Garden; its name comes from a park who lies near our office. It contains useful information for ostomates and stoma care nurses.
- The association has periodical contacts with ROMANIAN OSTOMY PATIENTS SUPPORT FOUNDATION from UK.
- The members of our association are especially people who live in South of Romania.
- The members of our association pay a monthly fee – around 0,8 euros/monthly.
- The association has sometimes collaboration with National Health Insurance House for improvement of reimbursement conditions.
- Our association has now around 800 members; not all our members pay monthly fee.
- We have an independent office.
- Psychological counselling
- Counselling for obtaining free ostomy appliances
- Nutritional advice
- Care advice; stoma care consultations
- Providing information for the most close-at-hand stoma care nurse for the patients from the countryside.
- Audio video informational materials for the patients and nurses
- Meetings with others ostomates; club activities at the office of the association
- Training programmes for trained ostomate counsellors
- Team building activities – trips with the members of the association
- Meetings with other ostomate associations from Romania
- Meetings with the members of medical staff
- Counseling with the new patients in hospitals
- Different financial help for the under-privileged members or for the members who don’t have health insurance; free of charge holidays in balneary resorts from Romania
STOMA CARE IN ROMANIA
- Introductory stoma care courses since 1999
- Each important hospital has at least one nurse who attended a stoma care programme
- An important number of nurses attended stoma care programmes in UK (ROPSF) and France (BBRAUN, EUROMEDICAL DISTRIBUTION GRUP)
- Basis for a professional organisation for stoma care nurses
- An important event – International Conference in 2003 with the attendance of stoma care nurses and surgeons from UK
- National events – 5 stoma care conferences in Bucharest with attendants from all over the country
- More than 150 nurses attended competency course in stoma care
- Community nursing – important for stoma care in the last years
- Important project – a high level stoma care course and wound care course with lecturers from UK (ROPSF)
ROMANIA OSTOMY DATA SURVEY
INFORMATION ABOUT ROMANIAN ASSOCIATION – regional level:
- Bucharest – Asociatia Purtatorilor de Stoma Cutanata din Romania
- We don’t have an unique representative organisation for all country
- In Romania are aprox. 10 000 ostomates!
NUMBER OF MEMBERS:
- BUCHAREST – 800 members
- Members pay a membership fee
- The President is an ostomate, The Vice-President is a stoma care nurse advisory service – APSCR office
- Local meetings
- The first time when we have a delegate to a IOA European meeting, Brno – Mrs. Isabella Grosu
- ForLife – Stomocur
LEVEL OF REINBRUSEMENT:
- Social Health Insurance
- Around 56 euros monthly – only for pouches, not for accessories
OSTOMY CARE AND SOCIAL SUPPORT:
- We don’t have Stoma Care Nurses as recognized specialists
- Nurses with good education in stoma care – in all major cities, all counties and Bucharest
- There are no significant problems